Registration FAQs for RTOs

What is required to become a registered training organisation?

Organisations seeking to become a registered training organisation (RTO) with the VRQA must:

  • demonstrate an understanding of the VET system
  • have a legal entity that is primarily for education (this is called the principal purpose requirement)
  • have key personnel involved with the organisation submit fit and proper declarations
  • participate in quality and financial audits of training resources, financial viability training capabilities, governance and organisational arrangements
  • deliver training to domestic students in Victoria only, or to domestic students in Victoria and Western Australia only. 

VRQA-registered RTOs are also required to maintain and deliver their training in accordance with the conditions and standards outlined in the:

  • Australian Quality Training Framework (AQTF)
  • VRQA Guidelines for VET Providers.

For more information on RTO registration requirements, standards and guidelines, see:

How long does RTO registration last?

Our registration lasts up to 5 years.

What is the principal purpose requirement?

RTOs must demonstrate that their legal entity exists for the 'principal purpose' of providing education and training.  We review the 'principal purpose' as part of the application process when an organisation seeks registration or re-registration.

What is an RTO's 'scope of training'?

An RTO's scope of training is a list of training package qualifications, units of competency, or state-accredited courses the organisation is registered to deliver.

For more information, see:

Why is an RTO audited?

An RTO is audited to ensure it is addressing the requirements of its registration, including meeting the necessary standard guidelines for initial and continuing registration.

Audits differ depending on their purpose. They can be used to confirm that the RTO is financially viable and applying good management and governance processes or to confirm that the training delivered to students is addressing the requirements of the relevant accredited training product.

An audit may also include compliance audits if concerns are raised regarding an RTO's operations or quality of training.

What happens when an RTO is audited?

When an RTO is audited, an authorised quality auditor visits the RTO to assess it against the non-financial requirements detailed in the:

  • AQTF Essential Conditions and Standards for Continuing Registration
  • VRQA Guidelines for VET providers

For more information, see:

What is the difference between registration with the VRQA and the Australian Skills Quality Authority?

The VRQA and the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) regulate different parts of the RTO industry.

We regulate RTOs that:

  • deliver training to domestic students only
  • provide training in Victoria only, or in Victoria and Western Australia only.

The maximum period we can register an RTO is 5 years. Under VRQA registration RTOs must meet the requirements of the:

  • Australian Quality Training Framework (AQTF)
  • VRQA Guidelines for VET providers.

ASQA regulates RTOs which:

  • provide training to domestic and international students
  • deliver training nationally.

The maximum period ASQA can register an RTO is 7 years. Under ASQA registration, RTOs must meet the requirements of:

  • the Standards for Registered Training Organisations 2015

What does a vocational educator need to train VET students?

To be a vocational educator delivering accredited training, the trainer must hold one of the following:

  • TAE40116 – Certificate IV in Training and Assessment (or its successor)
  • TAE40110 – Certificate IV in Training and Assessment, and one of the following:
  • TAELLN411 – Address adult language, literacy and numeracy skills (or its successor)
  • TAELLN401A – Address adult language, literacy and numeracy skills,

and one of the following:

  • TAEASS502 – Design and develop assessment tools (or its successor)
  • TAEASS502B – Design and develop assessment tools.

  • a diploma or higher level qualification in adult education.

How do I cancel an RTO's registration?

You must submit a VRQA Form C to cancel an RTO's registration. It is important to notify us of your intention to cancel the RTO's registration at the earliest opportunity.

To cancel an RTO's registration, you must:

  • send us a complete copy of its student assessment records
  • issue statements of attainment to students who have recently completed their studies
  • help students transfer to another RTO to complete their studies.

To download a copy of Form C, see:

Is an RTO's registration affected if there are organisational changes or changes in ownership?

An RTO that is considering any change in ownership or in its governance structure should contact us to discuss the requirements.

It is important that prior to any change implemented that the RTO engages with us to discuss.

For more information, see:

Can an RTO change the scope of training products or courses on its registration? If so, how?

Yes. An RTO can apply to change the scope of its registration to add new training package products and accredited courses. It can also apply to remove items from its scope of registration.

RTOs seeking to change or amend their scope of registration complete Form B.

RTOs use this form to add new or non-equivalent training package products or accredited courses to their scope, and, or add equivalent training package products without a standing application. There is a cost related to this application.

In submitting Form B, the RTO will need to provide evidence that it is ready to deliver the training. This evidence may include:

  • an appropriate training and assessment strategy
  • facilities
  • resources
  • appropriately qualified trainers and assessors
  • fully developed assessment tools for all units you intend to deliver.

For more information about amending the scope of an RTO's registration and to access Form B, see:

RTOs with a standing application will automatically have the superseded training package product added to their scope of registration.

For more information on how to apply for a standing application, see:

Can an RTO include extra electives on their scope of registration?

Yes, provided the elective is within the scope of the RTO's registration and the elective is in-line with the packaging rules for the relevant qualification.

For more information, see:

If an RTO has a unit as part of a qualification which is on their scope of registration, is the RTO able to offer this one unit as stand-alone course?

If the unit is a core unit or listed elective in a qualification that is already on the RTO's scope of registration, the RTO does not need to formally apply to the VRQA to add the unit to their scope separately.

However, the RTO is required to develop a training and assessment strategy, assessment tools, and all other materials to demonstrate compliance with course delivery and assessment.

What are the registration costs for being an RTO?

A VRQA-registered RTO pays an initial registration fee then an annual registration fee.

Our fees are standardised and not indexed against an RTO's business costs relating to lease, staffing, equipment and materials.

Note: annual and re-registration fees for existing eligible RTOs are waived until 31 December 2021. RTOs applying for initial VRQA registration are still required to pay registration and annual fees. Fee relief for existing RTOs is provided under Ministerial Order 1337 to help ease the economic impact caused by the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

For more information about fees, see:

If a VRQA-registered RTO closes, where can a student get a copy of the certificate of attainment?

We provide replacement certificates for students who have completed an accredited training product with an RTO that was previously registered with us but is no longer operating. Students will need to fill out a replacement certificate request form.

For a copy of the form, see:

Students uncertain if their RTO was registered with us or ASQA can check the State Register:

How does an RTO apply for Government funding to deliver training?

We do not manage government funding.

Publicly funded vocational education and training in Victoria is managed by the Department of Jobs, Skills, Industry and Regions.

For more information about the department's funding, see: