The school boarding minimum standards
From 18 June 2021, certain types of student accommodation will need to be registered with us and meet the school boarding minimum standards.
The school boarding minimum standards set out in the Education and Training Reform Amendment Regulations 2021, are:
- Compliance with Worker Screening Act 2020
- Acceptance policy
- Register of students
- Record of location of students
- Care, safety and welfare of students
- Buildings, facilities and grounds
- Philosophy of provider of school boarding services
- Information on performance of school boarding premises to be available
- Provider of school boarding services must comply with Act and Regulations
- Provider of school boarding services must comply with conditions of registration
- Provider of school boarding services must have policies, procedures, and suitable arrangements in place
- School boarding services must be provided in accordance with scope of registration.
The school boarding minimum standards align closely with the existing minimum standards and requirements for school registration. They also somewhat align with the AS 5725:2015 Boarding Standard for Australian Schools and Residences (the Australian Standards).
The Guidelines to the Minimum Standards and Requirements for the Registration of School Boarding Premises are now available:
They outline the evidence required and regulatory context for the registration of school boarding premises. Our guidelines also make clear to schools where they may adapt or expand existing school policies and procedures to demonstrate compliance.
If you have questions about these guidelines contact: