Registration and responsibilities

School registration in Victoria

All Victorian schools must be registered with us, as one or more of the following:

  • primary
  • secondary 
  • co-educational
  • single sex
  • specific purpose (for schools that provide an alternative educational program or educational focus)
  • specialist (for schools that cater mainly for students with disabilities or with social, emotional or behavioural difficulties).

Other education providers offering accredited secondary courses such as the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE), Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL) or the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma, must also be registered.

Applications for registrations are managed either directly by us, or by agencies on our behalf.

To find a registered school, see:

Who manages school registration (contacts for applying)

Independent schools

If you are an organisation or group wanting to register as an independent school, please apply directly to us.

For more information, see: 

Government schools

The Department of Education's Regional Services Group manages government school applications on our behalf.

Government schools wanting to accept international students should contact the department's international education division.

For more information, see:

Catholic schools 

The Catholic Education Commission of Victoria (CECV) manages Catholic school applications on our behalf.

To contact the CECV, see:

If you are a Catholic school wanting to accept international students, you must apply to the VRQA directly.  For more information, see:

Non-school senior secondary providers

If you are an education provider wanting to offer the VCE or the VCAL in a non-school setting, please apply directly to us.

For more information, see:  

School responsibilities

Schools must report to us when certain details change such as their principal, address or governing body membership.

For more information, see:

All schools must also provide their annual report to be published on the State Register. For more information, see: