Registering and awarding senior and foundation secondary qualifications

Applying to accredit and register a course and qualification

We accredit senior secondary courses and register senior secondary qualifications in Victoria. We have registered 3 senior secondary qualifications:

  • Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE)
  • Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL)
  • International Baccalaureate Diploma.

We also accredit foundation secondary courses and register foundation secondary qualifications. We have registered the Victorian Pathways Certificate (VPC).

From 2023, the VPC and VCE Vocational Major will replace VCAL.

Our guidelines provide an overview of the accreditation process for these courses and the requirements for awarding bodies. To access the guidelines, see:

These courses are accredited for a period of up to 5 years.

To apply for the accreditation or renewal of accreditation of a course, applicants must complete a Course Accreditation Application. The form is available on request. For more information, see:

Registering as an awarding body

We register organisations to award senior secondary and foundation secondary qualifications. In Victoria there are 2 awarding bodies:

  • the Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority which awards the VCE, VCAL and VPC
  • the International Baccalaureate Organisation which awards the International Baccalaureate Diploma.

An organisation wishing to become an awarding body must apply to us.

An application must include evidence that the organisation meets the minimum standards for registration to award, confer or issue a registered senior secondary or foundation secondary qualification.

These minimum standards relate to:

  • quality assurance
  • student records
  • governance and probity
  • policies and procedures
  • investigations.

The application form to register or re-register as an awarding body is available on request:

Awarding body registration is granted for a period of up to 5 years.

For more information, see: