All eligible Victorian apprentices can receive a 50% discount on their vehicle’s registration fee and Transport Accident Commission (TAC) charge. From 1 March 2023, this will be extended to Victorians who are completing their apprenticeships in New South Wales (NSW) or South Australia (SA).
VicRoads will check your details with your employer, so make sure your employer supports your application before you apply.
If your vehicle registration is about to expire while your discount application is getting reviewed, you should pay the full registration amount so you can continue to use your vehicle on the road. VicRoads will then issue a refund if you’re eligible.
You can apply for the discount (or a refund) if:
- you’re an apprentice registered with the VRQA, or from 1 March 2023, a Victorian apprentice who is undertaking an apprenticeship in SA or NSW
- you’re currently employed in an approved training scheme
- you’re using your own car, ute, or van for approved work purposes, or you regularly use it to get to or from work between 8:30 am and 5:30 pm
- the vehicle does not exceed 4.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM).
- you have a current Victorian driver’s licence
- you are a Victorian resident
- you've received your registration renewal notice.
Learner drivers, drivers with cancelled, expired or suspended licences, and apprentices with a vehicle registered in someone else’s name cannot apply for the discount. Tradespeople who have already applied for the discount on another vehicle, and tradespeople who have vehicles with other concessions (except zero or low emission passenger vehicle discount) also cannot apply.
For more information, please visit: