Options for help with writing a learning plan

​If putting put pen to paper is difficult, these options could help.Parents must submit a written learning plan with their application for registration.

This may be challenging for some parents. If you’re having trouble, these options might help.

Talk to other home educating parents

There are many home education parent groups across Victoria, and some may be willing to help.

The Home Education Network’s website has a directory of parent groups. For more information, see:

Consider existing programs or resources

You could choose to draw from existing resources to develop the learning plan.

Some options, like the Department of Education and Training’s FUSE resource, are free. Other programs are available for a fee.

Our website has a list of learning area resources you can draw from, organised by learning area. To view them, see:

Some available programs are broad, but don’t cover all eight learning areas. Before submitting your application, make sure the learning plan addresses each learning area.

Use alternatives to writing or typing

You must submit your learning plan in writing. However, this does not mean you have to use a keyboard or put pen to paper.

Some computers have a built-in speech recognition or dictation feature. Additionally, some free voice-to-text or word processing software can translate your spoken words into a written format.

Talk to us

Our senior team members have read a lot of learning plans.

We can’t write your plan for you. However, if you have difficulty writing your plan, we can listen to your ideas and make some suggestions.

The conversation won’t be used as part of the assessment and we won’t record any details about why you are having difficulty writing your plan.

To speak with us, call:

  • 03 9637 2806

Access a translation or interpretation service

If English is not your first language, you can use the Victorian Interpreting and Translating Service (VITS) to support your communication with us:

  • 131 450

If you have a hearing or speech impairment and need to call us, call the National Relay Service:

  • 1300 555 727

For more information about learning plans, see: