Home schooling, the VCE and VCAL

Home schooling, the VCE and VCALIn Victoria, there are three accredited senior secondary qualifications, the:

  • Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE)
  • Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL) 
  • International Baccalaureate Organisation (IBO) Programme.

Senior secondary qualifications and their units of study can only be delivered by a VRQA-approved provider, such as a registered school or a non-school education provider.

For home schooling students to undertake the VCE, VCAL or IBO, or any of their individual units of study, they need to enrol full-time with a registered school or an education provider. This means cancelling the home schooling registration.

Partial enrolment with a school is not an option for senior secondary qualifications.

You can search for a local school or education provider offering senior secondary qualifications using our State Register. To access the State Register, see:

For more information on senior secondary qualifications and home schooling, see the Department of Education and Training's:

If your child is commencing the VCE or VCAL in 2020, or you would like more information about senior secondary qualifications and home schooling, please contact us: