Step 2: Required documents

When sending your application to register for home schooling, you must attach the necessary documents to confirm your child's name, date of birth and your parental responsibility.

We only need copies of the documents. Do not send originals.

Confirm your child's name and date of birth

Evidence of this could be:

  • an Australian or overseas birth certificate or birth extract
  • a passport
  • citizenship documents
  • Australian visa documents.

Make sure your child's name on the evidence matches the name you put on the application form.

Your parental responsibility

Evidence of this could be:

  • your child’s birth certificate or extract
  • your family Medicare card
  • court orders that establish your parental responsibility
  • other official government records that recognise your parental responsibility, such as records from Centrelink or the Department of Health and Human Services.

The evidence must confirm your full name as a parent. If your name has changed since the official document was created, we may require evidence of your change of name, for example, a marriage certificate.

Shared parental responsibility

If your family has a court order that affects your ability to home school your child, you must provide a copy with your application.

If the court order establishes equal shared parental responsibility, we need evidence of both parents' consent.

This can be provided by:

  • listing both parents on the application form as applicant 1 and applicant 2 in Part A and having both sign the declaration at Part D, or
  • including written consent from the other parent with your application.

If you have questions about our evidence requirements, contact us: