What you need to know
Trade apprentices can apply for a 50% discount on their vehicle’s registration fee and Transport Accident Commission (TAC) charge. You are eligible if:
- you are an apprentice registered with the VRQA, or from 1 March 2023, a Victorian apprentice who is undertaking an apprenticeship in South Australia or New South Wales
- you're currently employed in an approved training scheme
- you are using your own car, ute or van for approved work purposes, or you regularly use it to get to or from work between 8:30 pm and 5:30 am. The vehicle cannot exceed 4.5 tonnes GVM
- you hold a current Victorian driver licence (not a learner permit)
- you are a Victorian resident
- you've received your registration renewal notice.
How to apply
When your next rego renewal notice arrives, jump on the VicRoads website to apply for the discount. You will need your VRQA registration number, vehicle registration number, and driver licence number. VicRoads will check your details with your employer, so make sure your employer supports your application before you apply. Don't know your VRQA registration number? You can find it:
- on any correspondence you have received from us
- by calling your Apprenticeship Network provider
- by calling us on 1300 722 603.
To apply online, see:
For more information, see: